JIM’S GREAT WHITE BEANS
• 2 pounds of “Great Northern Beans”, i.e., white beans
• 3 cans (14 oz.) of chicken broth, preferably low sodium
• 7 cups of water
• Either a meaty ham hock or about 1 lb. of thick sliced ham, diced into 1” pieces, of equivalent amount of lean bacon slices, diced to 1”
• ½ lb. of Jimmy Dean’s Hot Sausage. (If you like it spicier/meatier, use 1 lb.)
• 1 onion, diced
• 2 or 3 Roma tomato es, quartered and diced
• 4 cubes of chicken bouillon, or equivalent amount of instant chicken bouillon granules
• 3 or 4 bay leaves
• 1 teaspoon of Liquid Smoke
• ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
• freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Optional: 1 Packet Of GOYA Ham Flavored Concentrate Bouillon Granules
Wash and sort the beans in cold water, removing any extraneous material or bad beans. Drain well.
Put the beans into a large heavy metal pot of sufficient capacity to hold all of the ingredients at a boil. Add the water and chicken broth, and bring to a boil for two or three minutes. Remove from heat. Let it stand for at least one hour.
Return the pot to heat and add the remaining ingredie nts. Bring back to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer the beans for 2 hours or more, until tender. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. (I doubt that salt will be needed)
Remove and discard the ham bone and bay leaves.
In a blender, puree about two cups of the cooked beans (enough to thicken the liquid) and stir back into the pot.
Serve over cooked rice.
NOTES: If you like it even spicier, you could substitute a large can of diced tomatoes with green chilies for the Roma tomatoes, or add a “little bit” more cayenne pepper.
This recipe freezes well for later use.
Jim Breard, Slidell, LA.